Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Reasons to blog - Personal Branding???

Well..lets face the truth- Avoid marketing, Ignore mAdd Videoarketing, but you cannot live without marketing.With a population of 1,147,995,904, if there is a place on earth that requires marketing to survive, then it is India.
Marketing at a very elementary sense is the art of buying or selling in a market. But today the meaning has expanded like most of the words in the english literature. Ironically this very act of me creating a blog and trying to sell (even though you arent paying a penny :) ) my ideas is itself an example of marketing - or personal branding to be more specific.
In India, it is said that you need to stand up to be heard. Only the crying baby gets the share of milk in this part of the world and so, the significance of how you pitch yourself as an individual is imperative for your survival.
I accept that my foray into the blogging terrain is an attempt to understand the new avenues of digital marketing and social networking/professional networking.
But yes this personal branding attempt of mine is being build over a beautiful premises - Marketing in India!!
"Why India?? - why not the world !!!", would be your first question??
Simply because I think marketing is specific to regions...its deeply rooted with the culture of the nation..and to write about the success of IPHONES in U.S, I should have atleast made an attempt to cross the Atlantic.. - "Not a pre requiste, you would retort"- Those optical fibres crossing Atlantic are for your thoughts and mind to travel. I dont disagree!!! But I'm sure that my cousin who has spend 10 years in the U.S would find 10 flaws in my article on something written about the U.S.
So lets try and stick to India!! The sub continent has left even the likes of Philip Kotler puzzled!!
Hence I'm confident that this is a challenge which is not a penny less than my established cousins who figure in http://adage.com/power150/
Adage - Here I come!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Actually, I have a slight difference of opinion here. If you do have a good blog, and a few people know about it, many more will simply flock to you.

    And the best way to get going is to read stuff by others,and let them know what they think. More often than not, they will come back to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its about "perception"!! There are professional bloggers who maintain their blogs like resumes!! They definetly see it as an avenue for personal branding!!
    And ya then there are ppl like Sumit who write blogs for the joy of doing so!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is no one reason for maintaining a blog... You can add "Ranting" as another reason.. (ref my blog)..


    Good start..keep going... looking forward to see your personal take on all things marketing and else...

    ReplyDelete